Retailers are always being approached by all forms of media to advertise. Promises are made –
• Greater recognition
• Brand awareness
• Getting your message across
• Attracting customers
• More sales
When sales don’t increase the Media have the reasons –
• Bad weather
• Local economic down turn
• If you had not advertised your sales would have been down
• Our survey showed your brand recognition increased
• Your advertising needs to be continuous
• Results take time
1. Your garden centre has the quality, range, brand, size of product the customer wants
2. Your garden centre is attractive, comfortable and easy to shop
3. Product is merchandised in a customer friendly format with inspiration, concepts, ideas and information.
4. You are providing all the services customers expect from a modern retailer
5. Your garden centre has a major tangible, unique, point of difference that is of benefit to the customer.
In other words - if you haven't created a consistent image you will lose the opportunity to attract likely shoppers.
CUSTOMERS WILL NOT RESPOND TO ADVERTISING IF THEY KNOW YOUR GARDEN CENTRE DOES NOT MEET THEIR EXPECTATIONS AND THERE ARE BETTER ALTERNATIVES.
For advertising to work, get your garden centre up to scratch; establish a consistent image; meet the standards customers expect then carefully choose a form of advertising that meets your strategy and budget.
Now you are ready to talk to Media because promises made will have a real chance of being delivered with success.